This week's Tuesdays with Dorie (TWD) recipe was chosen by Sihan of Befuddlement: Blueberry Crumb Cake.
It's a very simple breakfast cake that only takes a few minutes to throw together, but make sure you plan ahead. Not only does the butter need to be at room temperature, but so do the eggs. I have a tendency not to read a recipe all the way through until I am actually making it and did not realize the eggs needed to be at room temperature until I was ready to add them to the batter! Since I already had my oven preheating, I actually stuck them on the oven rack (with the door open) for about 10-20 seconds at a time, and that seemed to work really well :) But really, it would be much easier if you just set your eggs out at the same time you set the butter out!
This cake was absolutely delicious. I love anything with a crumb/streusel topping, so this was right up my alley. I don't like nuts, so I omitted those from the topping and it still came together nicely. I used frozen blueberries in my cake and actually increased the amount of berries by 50% and found it to be just perfect.
Thanks Sihan, for choosing this cake. I will definitely be making this one again. If you would like the recipe, you can find it here. Make sure you visit the TWD Blog Roll to see what everyone else thought about this breakfast treat!
* Recipes notes:
- I used the zest of an entire orange instead of just 1/4.
- I used 3 cups of frozen blueberries instead of just 2 cups.
- I baked mine in an 8-inch round piece of bakeware and had to bake for a total of 75 minutes since my cake was slightly thicker than a cake that would have been baked in an 8-inch square pan.
- Wrapped well, the cake keeps at room temperature overnight.
- For more tips, click here.